Monday, December 8, 2014

Two-year anniversary of this blog

It's now been 2 years since I started this blog (on November 30, 2012) and the reasons I started it are still valid today. Here are 3 reasons I mention in the About this blog section:
(1)  There are many textbooks available for engineering students learning English, but it's difficult to find one with material specifically focused on my students' particular technical areas.
(2)  Much of the language material on the web seems to focus on grammar and vocabulary skills in general, rather than the kind of language features my students encounter in their technical reading and writing.
(3)  I want to share the material I find with other English teachers who are working with students in technical areas, and to give those teachers a place to contribute what they find useful.
It is still difficult to find published material that is relevant for specific technical areas -- I think this is a major issue for ESP teachers in general.

And I still work with more than the "grammar and vocabulary" areas in the classroom, and when I do focus on language skills, I try to connect them to my students' specific engineering areas.

But over the past 2 years, I have started teaching in more engineering areas.

I started teaching ESP (as distinct from EAP - English for Academic Purposes) with classes for students of electronics engineering and of computer science. Then I had groups in mechatronics and robotics engineering and in biomedical engineering. When I started this blog, those were the groups I focused on.

Since then I have also been teaching students of international business engineering and of mechanical engineering. And in each of these areas, the levels have ranged from low-intermediate to advanced.

So my interest in finding relevant articles, videos, websites and other material that will engage my students keeps expanding.

It would be interesting to get input from readers of this blog to find out what areas of engineering your students are studying, and what kind of material you find most useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment